Wynnstay Group has had a diverse history, its growth and strength continues to the present day. Our timeline of events explores the initial creation of the co-operative right through to its current day existence as a PLC.
1916- Sir Watkin William Wynn and the landowners called a meeting in Llanfechain to gauge the feeling of the farming community at the time, and following this a representative from each estate joined to create a committee of 12 people who would go on to form a farmers co-operative.
1917 – Llanfyllin district landowners, Sir Watkin William Wynn, Miss Lomax, Miss Dugdale, General Sandbach and Misss Perrott, whose family is still farming to this day in the village of Llansantffraid, brought together their tenants to discuss the formation of a farmer’s co-operative.
1918 – The farmers’ co-operative was formed and a committee of 12 farmers from the Mechain area appointed Mr Joseph Henry Dowle as the First General Manager of the farmer’s co-operative.
1922 - Society begins to sell coal - First official depot located at Llansantffraid to group together animal feed sourced from Liverpool.
1928 - Plans are developed for a mill for the Wynnstay Farmers Association to grind their own animal meals.
1931 - Wynnstay's first mill opens in Llansantffraid
1939 - Announced that Wynnstay's balanced rations can now be supplied in cubes.
1943 - A seed cleaning plant was established by purchasing the old brewery at Llansantffraid, along with machinery for grinding limestone.
1943 - Wynnstay Farmers Association Silver Jubilee.
1944 - Grass drying and agricultural services started operating from Hendomen, Montgomeryshire.
1955 - Wynnstay Farmers Association and Montgomeryshire Farmers Association were amalgamated.
1956 - West Midland Egg Packing Station at Newtown was acquired.
1959 - Freehold of the mill at Llansantffraid purchased.
1963 - Society becomes Wynnstay and Montgomeryshire Farmers Limited, a board of directors is appointed and an advisory committee initiated.
1963 - Wynnstay Quality Weaner Group and Wynnstay Quality Egg Group founded.
1966 - Remainder of disused railway station at Llansantffraid purchased for development.
1968 - Societies Golden Jubilee
1969 - A joint working party is set up with the C.W.S Agricultural Milling Group to start manufacturing feed stuffs at Llansantffraid.
1970 - New weighbridge was installed at Llansantffraid.
1973 - New mill is officially opened by the Secretary of State for Wales.
1974 - Expansion of bulk out loading storage facilities.
1975 - Eagle House purchased in Llansantffraid along with Tan Yard Farm.
1979 - Contracts placed for development of the Mill plant, a Maintenance Garage on the Tan Yard, extension of Eagle house for an administration centre, improved IT and improvements of the packing facilities.
1980- Fire in the mill at Llansantffraid
1981- Prince Charles visited Llansantffraid to open the new mill which was the most modern mill in Europe at the time.
1987- L.Rowland & Co acquired
1987- Shropshire Grain Farm Supplies (May)
1988- Trevor Williams, Llanidloes acquired. (April)
1989 - Wynnstay and Montgomeryshire Farmers Ltd, amalgamates with Vale of Clwyd Farmers, to become Wynnstay and Clwyd Farmers.
1989- Wynnstay Fuels Ltd established
1992- Wynnstay became a PLC
1995 - Joined the OFEX to provide a trading platform for its ordinary shares.
1995- Jack Jones Haulage acquired
1996- Nields Yard acquired
1997- Shropshire Grain acquired
1997- Griffiths & Simpson acquired
2000 – D. Nunn & Ridleys Seed acquired
2001 – Wyro set up as a joint venture with S J Roberts in the building development industry
2002 –Wrekin Seeds acquired
2003 - Eifionydd Farmers acquired
2004 - Company AIM listed
2004 - Robin Williams and Son acquired
2005- Carmarthen Mill bought from Dalgety in a three way joint venture involving Clynderwen Farmers, Wynnstay and Bibby Ltd
2005- Wynnstay bought 25% share in Bibby bought from Carrs Billington following Bibby Ltd collapse in July 2005 (October)
2006 – Acquisition of Glasson Grain, major agricultural trade supplier and manufacturer
2007- First Just for Pets store opened
2008- Wilsons Pet Centres acquired and re-branded Just for Pets
2008- Wynnstay acquired W.F.P and at which point had a 50% share in Bibby Ltd
2007 – Wrekin Country Stores acquired
2009 – Youngs Animal Feeds acquired
2010 – Woodhead Seeds acquired
2011 – Wrekin Grain acquired and GrainLink formed
2013 – Wynnstay starts trading as Wynnstay (Agricultural Supplies) Ltd as part of revised structure, managed by two directors, Mr Gareth Davies (Agriculture) and Mr Andrew Evans (Specialist Retail), with supporting divisional directors
2013 –Carmarthen and Pumsaint Farmers acquired
2015 –Agricentre acquired
2015 - Ross Feeds acquired, S. Jones & Sons and Horti-stores acquired