Pica is an abnormal behaviour usually seen in grazing cows, where they lick, chew, or eat inedible materials. This can include licking soil and fence posts, eating stones, drinking urine etc., and while cows may look healthy there is the risk of them ingesting material that can damage their gut and could ultimately lead to death.
With spring turnout fast approaching, it is a crucial time to be thinking about dietary magnesium and making sure that the milkers’ ration is targeted to meet the cow’s production needs.
80% of output and outcomes can be traced to 20% of inputs or activities (otherwise known as the Pareto principle). In dairy farming, a specific focus on inputs in the transition phase (the period three weeks pre- and post-calving) will lead to improved performance for the remaining 80% of the time.